Monday, November 7, 2011

Are we ready for the coming of the Lord?

OK, this is too good to be true. Either God is sending me a message here or Fr.Flynn has the book “A Year with the Church Fathers.” Is he playing with me, but then he was serious during yesterday’s homily, a very hard-hitting homily to be exact. That actually made me think. He was talking about his stay in the army and how he trained to do things when he went to war. It just happened to be he intertwined it with the gospel about the ten bridesmaids that came to meet the groom. Five did not bring enough oil to keep their lamps burning. The other five brought extra oil for themselves. Fr.Flynn asked us the question “Are we ready for the coming of the Lord? I am still questioning myself long and hard about that. Today I opened up my book of meditations titled “A Year with the Church Fathers” this is what it said…

Keep on Your Toes

I’ve said all these things, not to exempt the devil from blame, but to free you from slothfulness. For he really wants us to attribute all our sins to him, so that, nourished by those hopes, and going ahead with all kinds of evil, we may increase our own punishment, and find no pardon because we transferred the cause to him-just as Eve found none.

But let us not do this. Let us know ourselves. Let us know our wounds. Then we can apply the medicines. For whoever does not know his disease will not take care of his weakness.

We have sinned much: I know this well. We all deserve the penalties. But we are not without pardon. We shall not fall away from repentance. For we still stand in the arena, and we are in the struggles of repentance.

Are you old and in the last stage of life? Don’t think that even now you have fallen from repentance. Don’t despair of your own salvation. Think of the robber who was freed on the cross. What was briefer than the moment he was crowned? Yet even so, this was enough for his salvation.

Are you young? Don’t be confident in your youth, or think that you have a long life ahead of you. “The day the Lord will come like a thief in the night” (1 Thessalonians 5:2). This is why he has made our end invisible: so that we might make diligence and our forethought plain.   

           -St.John Chrysostom, Homily 2 on the Power of Demons, 5 

In God’s Presence Consider… 
If the day of the Lord came right now, would I be ready?

Closing Prayer 
Lord, you accepted the repentance of David; accept also my repentance for all my transgressions and my errors.

Now back to what I was saying. Yesterday’s homily ties into today’s mediation, which also sums up a few questions that I have been pondering for some time now. Am I ready for the coming of the Lord? I will have to pray on that one for sure. Also, I have been looking on into the future trying to accept that I will not know what my calling will be. Again, This is why he has made our end invisible: so that we might make diligence and our forethought plain.

Today at breakfast, Mommy mentioned that she wanted us to go to mass on Thursday mornings and add an extra hour of adoration in. She said that Fr.Flynn’s homily really made her think too.

So there you have it! Now you know what I will be Praying on today.

Until next time this is Mylea Janis Teresa saying God bless, be Joyful and don’t forget to Pray!     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment